Toronto and Sustainable City Transit


As part of Toronto city council's works committee next week, efforts are being made to make the city more pedestrian, cyclist and public transportation-friendly. This pleases me personally as on my daily bike-commute to work today I rode past what looked like the remnants of a major car crash from the road onto the very same bike path that I was riding on. If I had been riding half an hour earlier, I would have been toast. While the article states that decreasing use of cars in favour of more sustainable forms of city transportation will require initiatives, they are ones that I will whole-heartedly support.


Possible solutions brought to the table are a pedestrian-only street, pedestrian crossing at intersections that allow for all directions of travel (including diagonally) to prevent risk from turning cars, increasing rush-hour parking times to keep traffic moving, and a city spanning bike lane from Etobicoke to Scarborough.


I must say, however, that Toronto has been doing a fairly good job thus far of encouraging walking, biking, ans public transit use. I am a frequent visitor to Chicago and, as beautiful as the city is, would be wary to ride in those narrow downtown streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment